Associate Professor in statistical learning
The group dedicated to Research in Statistics (the research group STA), within the Signal & Image processing department (the TSI Dpt.), is recruiting an Assistant Professor in the domain of statistical machine-learning. All fields related to statistical learning are of interest for the team. A specialization in reinforcement learning or optimization will be favorably considered but is not mandatory.
• Academic research programs in statistical learning will be carried out.
• Research results will be published in leading journals and conferences. Activities in scientific bodies, organization of special sessions, workshops as well as involvements in committees of scientific conferences will contribute to the visibility.
• The research activities will rely on the team expertise, which covers both theoretical and methodological works in Bayesian estimation, statistical learning, reinforcement learning, and distributed statistics with collaborative computing.
• Contributing to scientific projects involving industrial partners will be done by participating to proposals to national and international research project calls, in the context of an academic chair or by co-supervising PhD theses (CIFRE thesis, involving industrial partners). The current applications considered within the group often deal with signal processing applications, which encompass forecasting, design of computer experiments, source separation, localization/tracking/cartography, control in multi-agent system.
• In the domain of statistics and machine learning, teaching at Telecom ParisTech mainly occurs at the level of bachelor or master courses, as well as in specialized training courses. The master courses include courses in joint master with partner universities, such as MVA Master.
• Education : PhD or equivalent.
• An international postdoctoral experience is welcome but not mandatory.
• English: fluent; French: good or the candidate should be willing to improve it.
Knowledge and necessary experience
• Research publications in statistical learning (non-parametric statistics, machine learning or statistical signal processing)
• Teaching experience at the university level.
• Knowledge on the numerical aspects of statistical learning and data processing.
• Theoretical or practical knowledge in optimization.
• Theoretical or practical knowledge in reinforcement learning
Other Qualities and skills
• Capacity to work in a team and develop good relationships with colleagues and peers
• Good writing and pedagogical skills
In the context of the Paris Saclay University, activities in stochastic modeling and statistical data processing at the STA group are complementary with that conducted in the Labs LMO, CMAP and CMLA. STA and these groups are partners of the Labex LMH. The Labex
DigiWorlds also include some of the research activities of STA, for instance through partnerships with the labs LRI and LIMSI.
• Permanent position
• Place of work: Paris until 2017, and then Saclay (Paris outskirt)
• For more info on being an Associate Professor at Telecom ParisTech (in French)
Candidacy are done electronically by sending a mail to
The candidacy should include :
• A complete and detailed curriculum vitae
• A letter of motivation,
• A document detailing past activities of the candidate in Teaching and Research: the two types
of activities will be described with the same level of detail and rigor.
• The text of the main publications,
• The names and addresses of two references,
• A short teaching project and a research project (maximum 3 pages)
Important dates (provisional)
• September 15 2012: application deadline
François Roueff (Head STA group), www.telecom-paristech.fr/~roueff
Yves Grenier (Head TSI department), www.telecom-paristech.fr/~grenier/
Other web Sites :
Département Traitement du Signal et des Images: http://www.tsi.telecom-paristech.fr/
Groupe STA: http://www.tsi.telecom-paristech.fr/sta
Télécom ParisTech: http://www.telecom-paristech.fr/